Poultry Caretaker - Hostel & Woodside Farms
United Kingdom, Cambridgeshire, PeterboroughProduction
About the Team
This role is a member of the production team at Hostel & Woodside Farm. There are 7 people in the team working on a shift pattern of six days on and one days off. The role works closely with the Team Lead and reports to the Facility Manager.
About the Job
The production team is responsible for ensuring the premium breeding stock are well maintained, ensuring a good standard of high quality eggs for hatching purposes. You will be responsible for managing the health and welfare of a large number of birds in your care. You will ensure that they are fed, watered and in a clean and healthy environment. You will be responsible for the collection of high quality hatching eggs on a daily basis.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- To proactively maintain poultry to a high standard through:
- Ensuring that stock has ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigor.
- Ensuring that stock has an appropriate environment including good ventilation and a comfortable resting area
- Ensuring that stock are free from pain, injury or disease by ensuring preventative measures or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Ensuring that stock is provided sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the own kind.
- Ensuring that conditions and treatment avoid mental suffering to the stock.
- To observe all hygiene rules, this includes personal hygiene, hand washing, boot dipping/changing and the wearing of all protective clothing.
- To strictly adhere to all bio-security rules.
- To ensure that floor eggs are kept to a minimum by training birds to use the nest boxes as per manager instruction.
- To collect and record egg collections neatly and accurately.
- To ensure food is weighed accurately.
- Maintain house hygiene, dusting, light fitment cleaning, sweeping up, friable litter and clean bootdips.
- To ensure nest boxes are kept clean and in good working order.
- Maintain accurate record keeping - house temperature, mortality, egg collections.
- Keep the farm clean and tidy.
- Adhere to all Farm Health and Safety rules and procedures.
Any other reasonable requests by the Farm Manager
- You do not necessarily need to have any Poultry experience for this role. We require our team to have the following skills:
- Being able to demonstrate a positive approach to learning
- Being able to work as part of a team by helping each other out and supporting the culture of teamwork
- Being able to work efficiently using your own initiative
- Being flexible and adaptable
- Being innovative and proactive in your approach to work
Salary and benefits
- Salary: competitive based on market, professional experience and qualifications
- 32 days’ holiday, including Bank Holidays
- Pension scheme membership
- Life insurance
- Group income protection scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Employee assistance programme
The farm operates on a 6 days on, 1 days off shift pattern over the course of the week .
Starting time is around 7.00am and finishing time is around 3.30, although you may occasionally be asked to stay
We have strict biosecurity that all visitors to the farm must follow – this includes showering into the facility
Farm clothing is provided on the farm and is laundered in house.
You cannot take any items on the farm such as Mobile Phones or Jewellery, but you will be able to leave the farm during your break time (you will need to shower back on).
Candidates cannot hold any avian species at home.